This blog, and many of my projects and ideas, have languished in 2016. I hope to soon write another post about 2016 and some of the events and circumstances that contributed to this, but presently I think it is more timely and important to make public my goals for 2017. I’ve tried to be ambitious in generating this set of goals, and it is possible I will not accomplish them all. But, as someone I admire recently tweeted, “it feels better to miss a tough goal than to reach an easy one.”
- I am going to launch an online journal club. I plan to test the idea in January with the goal of fully launching it in February. I will be providing more information on this in a separate post soon.
- I am going to submit four research articles to scientific journals. I think this is a high number but I resisted the urge to dial that number back.
- I am going to publish an article in a popular press magazine.
- I am going to self-publish a book on Amazon. It may be a book having something to do with massage therapy research and education, or it may be something entirely different. I have at least two good ideas and probably cannot do them both, so I will decide later.
- I am going to give three in-person talks. These are already in my schedule. In February I will be part of a panel at the San Diego Pain Summit focused on Psychosocial Influences on Pain and Its Treatment. The panel, which I organized, will also feature Leonie Koban and Beth Darnall and will be moderated by Jeffrey Mogil. On March 31st I will give a talk on Massage, Anxiety, and the Autonomic Nervous System at the Registered Massage Therapists Association of British Columbia‘s symposium focused on Mental Health and the Body. And in June I will give a talk at the Registered Massage Therapists Association of Ontario‘s 2017 Education Conference, for which I will provide additional information soon.
- I am going to submit a proposal to the Massage Therapy Foundation’s 2017 Research Grant competition.
- I am going to make substantive posts to this blog on a biweekly schedule.
- I am going to establish contact with a specific charitable organization that may have an interest in massage therapy research.
- I am going to establish contact with a specific business organization that may have an interest in massage therapy research.
- I am going to make a more systematic effort to stay informed of academic job opportunities here in the Denver region.
- I am going to strengthen my network connections with my colleagues in psychology.
- I am going to complete a Coursera online course related to computer programming.
- Finally, I am going to try to obtain some peer mentoring in support of achieving these goals. I have a specific person in mind whom I think would be ideal for this and I am hopeful that they might consider doing this in trade for… well, I am not exactly sure. But I am going to ask them.
Happy New Year.